Thursday, September 06, 2007

Kay arrives Buenos Aires

I had the most amazing flight to Auckland which just topped off the start of my trip . Before flying Les surprised me by making time to walk around the mount before we headed to the airport to catch plane number one, the beach, sky and harbour were crystal clear, sunshine glorious views and lovely home images to take away.After a slightly delayed flight from Auckland I arrived in Buenos Aires. The Aussies had to cross the ditch to catch the flight to BA so for once NZL was on the direct route- makes a change. After 12 hours flight I flew across the coast and farmland and it showed the smog getting thicker the closer I flew to Buenos Aires. If the sky had been cloudless and clear over the pole I would have been able to see the south pole but cloud meant no polar views. Argentina still sprays it aircraft on arrival against insects back to NZL quarantine days. The airport was a shambles with departing and arriving passengers intermingled and signage just enough to find my way around and collect my baggage. But for all that the process was reasonably quick with minor passport checks. I changed some money and was warned to make sure I only received authentic Peso (1 Peso=.47 NZD) back but how would I know. The currency exchange also checked every USD I gave them for authenticity..After Mike's warning over the BA taxis I thought I had it made and booked via the desk just through customs - looks were deceiving-only to find they weren't the officially registered taxi operation in Argentina. Thought I would take a risk as I had already paid. No problems though the driver knew where he was going and 25 kms and 1 hour 40 mins later after fighting through the traffic and watching in amazement at every intersection armed federal police occasionally stopping the traffic for pedestrians and forever writing on their pads?I pulled up at my hotel . Doormen, luggage and concierge greeted me and all was well. the The hotel is great, really old school 150 years old-I even have marble around the bath and shower and a marble vanity, with English speaking concierge, Internet, clean and comfy surrounds it OK being by myself-I am so pleased I cancelled the previous booking. It is central and i have gone for an explore, drunk the local coffee, got lost and found my way again, bought water and feel I have it under control for now. Tonight I am going out for dinner somewhere close the hotel will recommend somewhere.. It was strange seeing children finishing school at 5pm and heading home. Everyone has a siesta and then everything opens up much later at night. My rooms looks out over a lovely gardened courtyard and is quiet. The lift is old school-open the door, pull across the concertina door and push the brass numbers. Fits two people in just at a squeeze.

Smog at BA aeroporto

The taxi I should have takenTraffic on the drive inLots of people on bikes and scooters My hotel entrance
Dog walking just isn't for the NY'ers
That coffee cup is just over thimble size and strong


Cheeses, hams and breads just like Europe

No comments: